Monday, 26 September 2011

Chez Hedgehog Cottage

One of the blogs I like to visit is Bernard over at  monkey-organ.blogspot.com  He has a cute video that I think you would like to look at, of hedgehogs in his garden.  Now I like a challenge and I hold my hand up to say that yes I have copied Bernard and made a hedgehog house out of off cuts of wood left over from the decking that we are re-vamping. These bits were just lying there so hubby said "on you go and make one" so I did, I did have help along the way but I used the power tools, that was fun  :-)  and an hour later we have a little house for the hedgehog we sometimes see on our lawn at the side of the house, so I will place it under the trees against a wall and it should be snug there........but then again it may not want to hibernate there!! oh well we will see.







You can see in the background the decking we are working on, I am going to power wash all the lengths of wood before they go down they are just lying loose on the base at the moment, I did start some last week but the motor packed in on the washer grrrrrr so that is at a standstill until Wednesday when we go and get another one, as Wednesday is "old folks day" at B&Q and we will get a 10% discount for the over 60's    :-)   I suppose thats some consolation for being over 60 !

And on the subject of age!  I sent off for a new Be-Ro recipe book a couple of weeks ago, it arrived this morning and before I opened it up, as I knew what was in there I asked hubby if he remembered the Be-ro book his mum would have used all those years ago, "Errrrrr no" said he.  Well I can remember the one my mum used.  I opened up the envelope and lo and behold on the back cover is a photo of the very same picture I was thinking of, it's in the bottom right of the photograph.  Gosh that takes me back. This new one is edition number 41, I like the "splashes and marks" on the cover but I don't think you can make then out on the photograph.    Oh you can see the ring mark(s) after all, I have just had a closer look at the photograph  :-)


 

5 comments:

  1. aww a cute little hedgehog house, well done. Gooo MUM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a 'posh' house. I think that would be at least a Council Tax Band F. :)
    Did you see that link I put in my comment (on my blog) about the different designs? That was a good web-site with lots of information.
    I'm thinking of putting some old bits of carpet on top of mine. The web-site suggests soil, but I can't do that in my greenhouse.
    Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww.... I think I'll have to make one too, but I don't think it'll be as smart as either of yours. Let us know if and when they inhabit it.

    I have a newish Be-ro book and an oldish one. Neither is as old or as new as yours.

    Heck this is turning into a comparison website! Go CompAAAAAre!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to tell you that mine turn up about 7:30 ish. I shot that film about two weeks ago, so yes, it was not too dark for photographs. When they got used to being fed, they turned up earlier. Of course, at 7:30 it is now quite dark, so, I expect them to call in around 7 tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous! I have never seen a hedgehog for real and not sure we have them in the states. I love making hedgie greeting cards and love coloring them. If I built a hedgehog house a skunk or another animal would probably take up residence! LOL! I did make a box with a towel inside and the kitty from next door started using it when it was cold. But it was just cardboard and would not have lasted the winter. I still feed the kitty as the people next door leave it out all the time and I am not sure how much food it gets.

    Take a picture of the hedgie if one comes to the new little house.

    Love, Martha

    ReplyDelete