First stop was Brig O Doon over the river Doon, which is a beautiful area, lovely gardens and a Heritage Centre. We stood on the bridge famed by Robert Burns.
This is a plaque on the wall of the brig and made to look like a book, although these two photographs were taken seperatly as the sun was shining on the metal "book pages".
This view is taken from the Brig O'Doon.
And another where I have moved slighly over. Look at those beautiful gardens.
Alloway church just a 2 minute walk from the brig.
A tiny ruined church with an old cemetry where Robert Burns parents are buried.
Tae A Moose, (mouse) One of Robert Burns poems, along Poets Path.
We thought the mouse had a gastric band on ;-) but it is newly sown grass.
And then a short walk along to Burns cottage. I didn't manage to get a photograph of the cottage from the other side of the road as cars were going by and folk walking in front of the cottage.
Hello Ann, I can see you made the best of a good day. The photos from the bridge is beautiful - it really is lovely down there. The grass will get worn out when trippers pose for photos cuddling the moose - just take a look here to see what I mean:
ReplyDeletehttp://silverscrappers.blogspot.com/2011/03/trip-to-robert-burns-birthplace-museum.html
The weather's not so good today but here's hoping for a lovely weekend. Elizabeth x
What a lovely area to live Ann.
ReplyDeleteI am always put off having a holiday in Scotland because of the weather - or should I say the rain. I know one friend who had a whole seven days rain on holiday in Scotland. Then again, I have another friend tell me they enjoyed a week of sunshine. "Some you win, some you lose."
Wow, Mr Burns died young didn't he?
Too many "wee drams" perhaps?
I have had holidays in England when it has rained for a fortnight and fortnights in Scotland when the sun has shone throughout. That's British weather. It does tend to be drier in east Britain and wetter in West Britain but if you listen to the BBC, Scotland appears not to be allowed to have an east, west, north or south. It always gets called just 'Scotland'.
ReplyDeleteI've had a two week holiday in Scotland and the weather was fine all the time. Perhaps every day was not bright sunshine but the sky seems to be blue in most of my photos. Anyway a bit of poor weather gives the place atmosphere ... and then you can find a cosy pub and sit down and try to absorb ( and understand !!) that delightful brogue.
ReplyDeleteyour day looks lovely and the photos are delightful. Our daughter was over there on holidays recently. Wish I could have been there with her.
Cheers
Helen
Hi Ann,
ReplyDeleteTook me a minute to realize you were on a bridge overlooking the lovely gardens. What a nice holiday. That is what I love about the whole of the UK...so much history and places of interest to go and see and within a decent distance from each other. We are so scattered about that it would take many months of sight seeing and we do not have the depth of history, buildings and such to enjoy.
Be blessed, Martha