Thankyou Elizabeth, i think further along they were white, i am not up on the berries other than brambles in the wild. Lol I wonder if we have passed in the street in Ayr?
They are Elderberries Ann. I have them in the hedge at the bottom of my garden. The flowers are white and the berries are green before ripening. Years ago, in my 'Wine making days', I would go out and gather these by the bucket full. I didn't pick individual berries just the whole stalk. When I got home I would use a fork to 'stroke' the berries off the stalks. They made very strong red wine. A lighter sparkling white wine was made from the flowers known as Elderberry Champagne. Cheers....B
I have elderberries growing in my field. Human used to make something from a very very old recipe called elderberry rob. It was apparantly used as a soother for sore throats/coughs. Elderberry wine is another favourite.
Hello Ann, They look like elderberries to me - though the birds have usually stripped the elders bare by now. Elizabeth
ReplyDeleteThankyou Elizabeth, i think further along they were white, i am not up on the berries other than brambles in the wild. Lol I wonder if we have passed in the street in Ayr?
ReplyDeleteThey are Elderberries Ann. I have them in the hedge at the bottom of my garden. The flowers are white and the berries are green before ripening. Years ago, in my 'Wine making days', I would go out and gather these by the bucket full. I didn't pick individual berries just the whole stalk. When I got home I would use a fork to 'stroke' the berries off the stalks. They made very strong red wine. A lighter sparkling white wine was made from the flowers known as Elderberry Champagne.
ReplyDeleteCheers....B
Many thanks Bernard.oooooooh that sounds delicious.
DeleteI have elderberries growing in my field. Human used to make something from a very very old recipe called elderberry rob. It was apparantly used as a soother for sore throats/coughs. Elderberry wine is another favourite.
ReplyDeleteElderberries! I have them in the garden too. Hubby eats them but I find them a bit sour.
ReplyDeleteSorry to be so late calling here.
I didn't know they were elderberries, I do know the Dutch birds love them...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos
Hugs
Erna x