This is what we decided (or rather I decided as I am the geocacher and DH just tags along) to do this morning to get out for fresh air, exercise and sun.
It is a lovely bright sunny morning, just perfect to get out geocaching. The first one we tried we had attempted a few months back with no luck as there were too many muggles about, so it was put on the back burner. But this morning DH found it even though there were two male muggles and 4 duggles standing close by talking, taking no notice of us.
Each of the containers was what I suppose are dog toys altered for geocaching, so this one was a chop and inside was the log to sign.
A lovely little church across the road from the cache.
So that duly done we set off for the next one, but us being us we do it the long way round, walking through an area of houses but the GPS kept on pointing us to go on, even though we were going in the wrong direction, or so we thought, but on we go. DH spies a short lane, ahhhh that is where we have to go, this takes us out onto a nice lane with high hedges along the sides and brambles growing, but we didn't have a suitable container to collect brambles this time.
We are now looking for a ruin cottage, how sad to see an old building in ruins like this, to think this was once someone's home.
I am holding the next "meat" geocaching container which was a chicken leg. So again the log is inside, once that is signed we replace it back into it's hidy hole.
Here it is being hidden away, it fitted into the old gate post you can just about make out in the
photograph.
Off we set to the next cache, walking by a nice old farm house, then another house where they had chickens in the garden. That is something I would like to keep, never will though!
I look across the fields as we walk along the lane and I notice a monument in the distance, and I say to second in command "I bet that is where it is" sure enough the GPS leads us along a main road to a war memorial with a welcome seat in front of it.
We search and search as per the hint given, by this time my old geocaching jacket is covered in sticky buds from all the scrambling about in the bushes by the momument. I sit down and re read the description, logs and hints on my GPS.
Back up the embankment I go, it's got to be here somewhere! but where?
muggles pass by in their cars/bikes and with their duggles some saying good morning, and probably wondering what we are up to! I say that this may be a DNF (did not find) to DH, I hate to give up on a cache, okay one more look, and bingo there it is, sitting looking at me! now why did I not spot this before? but that is usually how it works. too many hawthorns about but DH comes to my rescue and extracts it from it's hidy hole.
A chicken leg again, I hold it up as I sit and sign the log whilst DH takes a photo.
So that is our third find of the morning, and clears up the caches in that area for us until someone puts more out in that area, it's nice to see the "smiley faces" next to the caches we have found when I log into the cache site to log them. So I am at 293 finds, it has taken me almost 2 years, but I am not out every day or week, due to my B&B. But in the winter when it is quiet (make that a standstill) I will drag go out with hubby and see if I can get more. I have said this before, it is fun and take us to places we didn't know were there, plus we are learning the rich history of our own towns closeby.
As we walk back along the lane to the car in town where our flask of coffee is waiting on us, I look back across the fields and take a photograph of the cows lying down in the sunshine, the sheep running down to the cows, and in the distance to the right hand side you can see the white monument we were at looking for "chicken leg", so that was our Sunday morning, out and about hunting chicken legs and meat chops.........................well it's different!
The lane we walked along back to the car.
You certainly get to go to some nice places. Human had a look on the website to see if any were near my field. Couldn't find any but plenty in the country park and the woods we go to sometimes.
ReplyDeleteWell Zoe........we will just need to come down and take you geocaching lol. Can you look inconspicuous? Certainly would be different.......geocaching on horseback lol. Probably folk geocache on horseback somewhere in the world. Someone has released one today as I get an email when they are sent out, and someone has found it within 9 minutes of it being released !
DeleteTwo of the blogs I follow do geocaching. One is an american horse who now lives in Germany and the other is a mule who goes geocaching in the uk.
DeleteIf I leave my new hi-viz at home then I can blend in with the hedges.
Ok Zoe you are on I will leave my hi viz jacket at home as well lol. Oh i look at the three muleteers blog or is it another mule one. ? Oh and the American horse in Germany I have looked at well, I wonder if that is the one you are talking about
ReplyDeleteYes those are the geocaching equines
ReplyDeleteMajor says you will have to Geocach around Loch Ness and pay him a visit!
ReplyDeleteYour on
ReplyDeleteMajor. It is a while since we have been up there.