We went a walk along the side of the river Ayr yesterday, the river is still frozen, although in parts it has thawed. This was one of the photographs taken yesterday, I had my small digital camera with me rather than my SLR,but I managed to zoom in to the stacked up ice on the other side of the river. We crossed the bridge this morning by car and looking down to the river it has thawed very very slightly, apparently the structual engineers are keeping an eye on the bridge because of the backup of ice at the base. This is the main road so if they closed this road/bridge the traffic in the town would be awful. Hopefully the ice will melt slowly, I would hate to think of these huge (and they are huge) sliding down the river to the sea. Where all this ice has formed is at a bend in the river,absolutely unbelievable as further downstream although frozen over in parts it is nowhere near like it is upstream.
Last night a huge helicopter with all its lights on was hovering over the river, we could see and hear it from our house, I went in to the back garden to watch this huge piece of machinery in the sky, we were wondering if it was searching the river as it flew about in that area for a while.
Merry Christmas Ann !!! Hope you had a wonderful day !!! Loving your photos of the river... real WOW photos !!!
ReplyDeleteOh I have something so exciting to tell you !!! I FINALLY stamped onto a candle and it worked and now I am addicted !!! woo hooo I was so happy with the result !!!
Hi Ann,
ReplyDeleteHope your Christmas was lovely. Those pictures are spectacular! It is amazing what Mother Nature can do. You should submit them to the newspaper or to the weather bureau for use on a calendar. They are so unusual.
Hope the bridge holds up against the ice. We had a big bridge collapse at rush hour traffic and 13 lost their lives. They are still trying to figure out the why because it was in good summer weather.
Take care, Martha