Wednesday, 4 April 2012

In a guddle (mess)but never mind!

As we are having insulation put into the loft next Tuesday, that means we have to empty the said loft!
Thankfully the previous owners had put in a loft conversion, so access to the loft is by a small door so we do not need to climb ladders, but and it's a big but!!!!! you do have to remember to duck as you come out of the door!  I needn't say more!!
So everything is out of the loft, except for a few bits and pieces that the men do not need to be at.  We have had a field day going through all the rubbish  treasures that we have in there in boxes and the likes.

Somethings are on Gumtree (sold something yesterday) others are in charity shops, and some are at the cowp (tip).    When we moved here like most people we used cardboard boxes to transport from one house to another, needless to say with being in the loft these past 7 years the boxes are a bit manky (dirty).      So we are going through boxes and putting things into plastic storage boxes with lids and labelling them all, doesn't that sound good and organised? well we will see if we do manage, I am a woman on a mission.

One of the boxes had in it wedding china from 1918, this belonged to my grandmother whom I never knew, she died in childbirth a few days after my mum was born. 
These are my grandparents on their wedding day in 1918,  don't they look different to brides and grooms of today, look at the brides shoes and stockings?  I think this photograph is somewhere on my blog already.
The china they were given on their wedding day would probably have been given to them by their matron of honour/chief bridesmaid as this is or rather was, the custom at Scottish weddings it isn't done now, at least it wasn't at our 2 daughters weddings and not at mine as my chief bridesmaid was English, so that is another tradition lost through time, along with the show of presents, I had that 2 weeks before I got married but again that is lost in time. 
 I took the dishes out of their wrappings and put them out on the table to look at, a 12 place setting, everything nowadys seems to be 4 place settings!  But I see there are 2 cups missing and a couple have hairline cracks, they are 94 years old after all, my late mum had them for a long time now I have had them for the past 20 years. So they are wrapped again and in a plastic lidded labelled box with lots of padding (fingers crossed) ready to go back into the loft.

The sugar and creamer are huge!  my cousins called in today in their lunch break, they saw the china out on the table, one of them said you could almost put a 2 pound bag of sugar into the sugar bowl! she is right.

Here is a close up of the pattern on a plate.

Each piece is edge in gold, I don't suppose it is real gold but then again..................... ?

So upstairs is a mess, do you want to see?
This is part of the room, stuff is stacked across from here that I did not photograph.

                                                                       Gulp!!!!
And a white duvet on the bed as well! Stoor (dust) will be everywhere!

The area under the eves is my crafting spot, I cannot get into it!  the cardboard boxes are now away, granddaughters toys for when they are here in the background.  Do you see the clown? our younger daughter won him (Barney) when she was about 8 years old, he is still as good as new and she is in her 30's now. The wicker fronted unit you see on the left is going to be painted white at some point, once the weather gets better and I can paint it outside, that is on my "to do list"

I really must think what I want up at the window.    These windows are high up, I have to stand on tip toes to look out of it, there used to be blinds up there but we took them down, then I had voil on an extending rod but they are away, so I am open to suggestions  :-)




7 comments:

  1. I saw your name on Uncle Bernard's site (The Organ Grinder's Monkey) and thought I'd take a peek seeing as we live in the same area. I think you look like your grandmother, Ann and you're right - it's been 'baltic' here the last couple of days. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum, Only JUST into my 30's, JUST!! haha! LOVE the teaset :O) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still in your 30's though lol. ;-). Xx

      Delete
  3. Great post! I love the china, it's so elegant and dainty. This is fun work for me. I love to go through estate sales and I head straight for the loft. It's usually filled with treasures that others miss. All you have to do is get a little dirty but it's worth it.
    Those spaces look like nice opportunities to put to good use. When it's all said and done, you'll be happy you did all that work!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! That hubby of yours is in for a busy summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mr v hubby isn't putting in the insulation in. Someone coming to do it. He did put in the flooring though :-)

      Delete
  5. Sorry I missed this post. That crockery set is beautiful. It might well be real gold. I look forward to seeing you on Antiques Roadsshow with it!
    Poor you and that bedroom. It reminds me of those hoarder programmes you see on TV. People actually live with worse than that all the time. Can you imagine it? I hope it all goes well. It'll be lovely when it's done and you can get your house back again.

    ReplyDelete