I am up at 49 finds so far as from yesterday afternoon. For the 50th one I hope to go to one that I need to look for in the dark, I know where it is and it has caused much hilarity among Geocachers when I have read their log ins on the site. There is no way I would attempt this one on my own in broad daylight...........someone else with me ! then yes I would. So as there is no parking nearby hubby will need to drop me off (there is no way he would stay he does have his street cred to think of!) then pick me up, hopefully once I have signed the log.
These two photographs show you the type of containers I/other geocachers look for, the black one is tiny and magnetic it is still in its packaging at the moment, the stainless steel one can be clipped onto a dog's collar and flashes or it could just be used for a tiny cache. Now let me explain here that I don't need to go searching the local dogs for the collar one!! this is actually an LED tag for a dog collar and flashes in the dark, if not used as a collar tag then it can be used as a cache container. Inside the black one is a tiny tiny rolled up log to be signed, the other one could have the battery taken out and a rolled up log paper inserted. The coin in the photographs is a one pence coin to let you see the size of the caches.
When I looked for my first few caches I was told to look for large ones to start off with.......... errrrr easier said than done! as Ayr seems to have an abundance of tiny caches so my first few, in fact most of my finds have been this size. It does make a nice change to find a box though as they usually contain little "treasures" nothing of value, so if we take something out then we put something in. If there is a TB (travel bug) which is like the USA dog tags in a cache then you can take it and move it on to the next cache, I brought one up from England that wanted to travel around Scotland only so I placed it in a cache in Ayr. I am hoping to hid my first geocach soon, just waiting for it to be reviewed and hopefully allowed. Keep your fingers crossed for me lol
UPDATE TONIGHT LOL My very first hidden cache was accepted tonight yehhhhh. As soon as the email came through I dashed outside to put it in its place. Its in our back garden but geocachers do not come in to get it it is accessible from outside the wall. I saw a car outside tonight and jokingly said "Wonder if that is a geocacher" lol and it WAS! I went through to our bedroom and could see the torches in the field behind us, so thats the first folk to sign the log book in the container. Need think of other places to hid the above containers.
I think typically you are to have it placed before you even submit it. People are FAST these days... Someone could be driving by your house and get the new cache notification on their phone and beat you to it! ;-)
ReplyDeleteIt was in place before the first geocacher came along. :-)
ReplyDeleteHi Ann,
ReplyDeleteWhat a small world this is....we were your FTF!
Happy caching.
Lynn & Ian aka Biffo69