Thursday, 29 January 2015

Finished projects (for now)

We needed some extra storage, and as this house is approximately 60 years old the builder seemed to think that people buying these houses wouldn't need cupboards!

The only cupboards really in the house when we moved here 10 years ago outwith the cupboards in the kitchen, was one upstairs built under the eves in the loft conversion bedroom and one in which is now the B&B guest bedroom,  but it was very shallow cupboard and on an outside wall which made things kept in that cupboard very cold.  Eventually we built a lovely ensuite by knocking out the shallow cupboard and extending into part of our back garden to make the large ensuite.

When our joiner came up with the idea of building storage into a wall on the small landing leading up to the conversion bedroom we decided to go ahead with it.  This was just before christmas, but as he knocked through the partition wall he found wires which looked quite old, so he said to ask the electrician to check them before continuing with the work.  That held us up for a while, but once the wires were checked, back on with the work.

The joiner made an oblong box which was made to size for the baskets we had bought to use within this area as storage boxes.  This oblong unit was fitted in place, hey presto we had some more storage space.  I undercoated it with a couple of coats of paint, then gave it 2 coats of white gloss.
Once this was all dry we bought nice wallpaper to hang just where the baskets are kept, this gives a nice pop of colour to a once plain white staircase.   Now I am "into" deep red accessories, I spotted a deep red vase yesterday when we were out looking for a new clothes line, came back with that and couldn't see a clothes line ! at least I came back with something ;-)  these were taken before I bought the vase.

If you look at my previous posting about the hall makeover and look at the photo of the stairs, you will just make out the white plain wall at the small landing where the joiner made the storage area.  I forgot to take a photograph of "before"!

The box in ready to paint

Painted and wallpapered

Whicker baskets in place.
There is a shelf there also but that was already in place when we moved here, I took these photos from the top of the stairs at the upstairs bedroom door, looking down.

We also decided to take the paper off from one wall in our lounge, all the walls are white wallpaper with a small white/silver design, we decorated in here a few years back, but we felt it needed a bit of an uplift now that we have a new grey suite plus a white swivel chair in there now. So rather than redecorate all the room, off came the paper on Tuesday, and by Wednesday late afternoon we had the new patterned wallpaper on.   The previous owners had taken a door away from this room so that is the dark area you can see at the left.  Do you see the design on the wall? We think that may well be from the time when the house was first built. This room has a curved window which isn't in the photograph and the wall is curved so that wouldn't be suitable for a feature wall, so that is why we had to use this wall.

And the finished wall, looking through from our dining room. This wallpaper is black and grey, again we have gone for pops of red, you can just make out the vase with red flowers on the unit at the window.
Just before we did this wall, and after the landing area was finished we papered our small front porch. But I haven't taken photographs of that.
Now I need another project! ;-)

6 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea for extra storage. Love it!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam if you read this, can you email your address to me please as I have enabled Moderate Comments for now, so that I can read yours then delete it along with your address in. :-) hope this makes sense

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say! How lovely. What a nice cheery splash of colour. I like the little storage slot too. What a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Foody. We are very pleased with it. It looks so different to before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the pop of wallpaper and love those baskets....

    ReplyDelete