Saturday, 27 April 2013

pottering

When the sun is out as it has been here it makes you want to work outside, at least it does with me.
Finding this and that to do in the garden, and that is what we have been doing.

The greenhouse is full now, albeit it is a small greenhouse but it has served us well for a few years now, this was put up in the back garden by hubby about 5 years ago and in the rain!

I have been saving pepper seeds which I dried for a few weeks weeks and then planted them up and left them on the kitchen windowsill which is south facing, they sprouted and are now in bigger pots in the greenhouse.  Sweet peas sown, nasturtiums which I saved from the flowers last year and dried out they are in hanging baskets and a couple of hanging pots which will hang from a planter. A couple of trays of Livingston Daisies, and 2 tomato plants in the pots on the floor.  The last few years there have been too many tomatoes which just took over the greenhouse which never ripened so this year I decided on just 2 plants, we opened up the tomato grow bags and put some of the compost into the 2 pots to plant the tomato plants, we will see how they fair this year.

We have a car port at the side of the house which is south facing, we use this in the summer as an outdoor room, we sit there in an evening with a glass (or 2) of wine, or our coffees in the afternoon.  We put the swing seat up under it plus the garden table.  It is nice to sit there in a morning and have breakfast. Still too cold to do that yet.  It also serves as a nice shelter for any plants that need sheltering from any frost.  We still have a geranium under there from last year, repotted so fingers crossed it continues to flourish.

  I was given an olive tree 3 years ago from my two daughters and sons in laws and grandchildren for my birthday, it spent the winter in the greenhouse last winter covered in a garden fleece, now it is under the car port until I can be sure no more frost will appear then it will sit in the back garden against a south facing wall.   It has grown well, tiny black olives on the branches now but they will not be picked to use as I know you need to soak them etc, I really am just going to see how tall I can grown it and hopefully keep it thriving.

Then a bit of painting to a tiny table we use for said wine/beer/coffee, it used to be green and was looking a bit scruffed so I painted it with a few coats of white paint.   It will sit under the carport as well, with a little hurricane lamp holding a candle.    For our Ruby wedding anniversary 2 years ago we were given a lovely miniature rose as one of our gifts, it was indoors for the first year, but the past 2 summers it has sat again under the carport where it has grown well, now into it's 3 container, it kept the olive tree company in the greenhouse under the fleece last winter along with a container with a strawberry plant.
                                                                  Olive tree

                                                                little table



 I just cannot get the last photograph to turn around,! I managed the rest though.



5 comments:

  1. Best of luck with your garden. What you've already done looks great!
    I like fresh herb and vegetables but all I get are dandelions and crab grass. Oh well, to the farmers market I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done hope you have plenty of carrots planted. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a busy time of year, Ann. Rewarding though, when you see those little seedlings showing through. (I've got a greenhouse full of little babies too but shh! don't tell anyone.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are really organised for the Summer. Hope you are getting some warmer weather.
    So you had a visitor? One I met a couple of years ago? Isn't it nice to meet these friends face to face after "knowing" them for years?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks really nice and spring-like and will be worth all the work when you see your flowers in summer. And how in the nae of the wee man does Helsie know you had a visitor? Suppose I'll have to search her blog and find out. By the way, I have a post scheduled for Saturday and it's about my little holiday!
    I've had problems with my internet these past few days but all is OK now.

    ReplyDelete