Hubby and I have begun watching IRT (Ice Road Truckers) on TV, now those lorry drivers have to cope with very very extreme winter conditions, it is set in Alaska and Canada, which covers the journeys these lorry drivers have to endure to get their load of cargo to outlying towns etc. They are driving over ice covered lakes (yikes) the roads are covered in snow, it makes for a good programme, two of the drivers are young women driving what one of them called a van, all Brits know that a van here is just that, a van which can be small or large but nothing like the van in IRT, but what she was referring to was a huge and I mean huge long lorry!
Anyway I digress, as we have had high winds since Thursday, a flurry of snow now and again in Ayr and bitterly cold, we decided to take the camera and go along to the shore front in Ayr and take some photographs. Across from us over the Firth of Clyde is the isle of Arran. It has Goat Fell, their highest mountain which at the moment it covered in snow and looks lovely. But the poor folk over there have at the moment no power due to the high winds, which are still blowing strong at the moment. They have had a heavy fall of snow on the island, plus with the windy weather I don't think the ferry will be able to get over to them. We heard on the news they could be without power for 3 days, Northern Ireland is also suffering as well as that is not too far from us, if we drive further south and on a clear day we can see Ireland. Luckily for our coastline we are protected weather wise by Arran, so really we do not get all that much snow.
We park the car and walk along by Ayr harbour. We have brought the long lens with us and I am glad we did. Even though it was blowing a gale as we walked along I am surprised the photographs turned out as I could feel the lens moving in the wind. As we walk across a bridge my hubby said "there's a co-ordinate" sure enough in huge letters on the wall we saw this. Nothing to do with a cache obviously, but good to see and I couldn't resist taking the photograph.
This next photo is of an old boat, moored here for a number of years, there is a geocache on it, this was our first venture into geocaching and as someone had met up with us a couple of years back to show us how this game worked, they took us along to this boat, okay we needed help on this one, very well hidden, plus it was getting dark but I was able to mark this one I think as my first ever cache over 2 years ago. Just at the start of the water you can see the boat. The flats you can see will have lovely views of the sun setting over the sea, some have balconies
Along we walk, being blown about a bit to the far end of a pier type area which is popular with fishermen, but no one about today. Again there is a cache hidden on the rusty old lighthouse you see. We found this one a few months ago, even on that day with folk fishing no one seemed bothered with us snooping about! for any Americans reading this you can see the left sleeve of my husband's Green Bay Packers coat he has on. He has had this coat years and like a duvet to wear he said, very warm.
A view of the harbour.
Arran in the background in the photo below.
Troon coastline below.
Looking across to where we used to live Troon (above) which is about 6 miles from Ayr, you can see the beach and the town, I was glad I had the long lens with us.
Finally looking along part of the beach in Ayr from the old pier area.
We have escaped all the snow here in Inverness, too
ReplyDeleteA man from Arran was on the news last week talking about the conditions there. When I was young we had two pony trekking holidays on Arran and that's where this pony thing all started. It's a beautiful island.
ReplyDeleteIt's good to see your post. I haven't been to Blogland much just recently because I've felt really sorry and awful about something very stupid and very bad that I did.