Friday, 20 December 2013

A capital city visit

We had couple of nights stay in Edinburgh this week.  The weather was cold but dry, so it was just a case of wrapping up warmly.  There was a German market on next to Princes Street gardens, with a  big wheel, (ferris wheels) lots of stalls selling all manner of drinks, gifts and snacks.

We had a walk around the market, but after that we managed to keep away from all the touristy bits.  We were surprised that the city wasn't as busy as we thought it might be.
Now we were in a different city, so of course this called for a spot of caching to be done.


This a view looking down into Princes Street Gardens.  There is a little children's train going around this area giving rides.

This is a TB (travel bug) I got from a cache in Ayr.  I kept a hold of it until we went to Edinburg as I knew the cache I wanted to place it into.   Whenever we cachers find a TB we try to take photographs of the TB's so this is one with Edinburgh Castle in the distance.   This TB has a penguin attached to it, you can just make him out in my husband hand.


We walked along to Grassmarket which has plenty of pubs/bars and eateries where we ate the following night.  This Victoria Street just off of Grassmarket.



Little Greyfriars Bobby statue.


 There is a cache just outside of the cemetery, so that was a quick find, then we walked into the cemetery where I sat on a bench to sign the log.  We timed it nicely, because we noticed a large crowd of tourists within the cemetery being guided around.  So we just waited for them to pass by and out into the street so that I could replace the cache container.

             
                                                         Greyfriars Bobby's headstone.



                        A view from Ramsey Place just off The Royal Mile. The big wheel is where the                  German market is.
All in all we didn't find all that many caches or Munzee's.  But a few were found so that helps my score bit more.   One of the caches was an Earthcache, now this is something I have never attempted before, I have always been put off by them for some reason.  But we gave it a go, this one was in Princes Gardens and it was just a case of collating information and describing an area nearby then I had to email the CO (cache owner) my answers then once I heard back from her I was able to log my first ever EC.
I had participated in an online TB/christmas card/post card swap on the geocaching site, whereby you are emailed a name and address of another cacher, mine was from Baltimore USA.  In my parcel was a new unactivated TB so I was able to activate it and gave it a name, then we placed it into a cache in Edinburgh.  I have asked that maybe it could eventually make it's way back to Baltimore.

The name and address I was given to send my gift to was Florida. So I sent off an unactivated TB, a christmas card and a postcard of the town I live in, to the cacher in Florida.   They in turn will activate the TB and send it on it's way. It was lovely to receive the parcel from USA along with their hometown postcard.

No comments:

Post a Comment